Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Where am I from?

It has been almost 4 weeks since I am back from India. But India fever is still up.Anyway...being away from your homeland, the most common question you encounter is 'where are you from?' As soon as you see any Indian, in bus, train, flight, mall, park, grocery store this would be the question in initial conversation. In first level answer, you would name the state and if opposite person is also Gujarati, it will be further categorized based on city and then area of the city.

I am also not an exception, I also have been asked this question hundreds of times. My answer has always been like this - ' I am from Gandhinagar, but my in-laws live in Ahmedabad'. In three and half years of marriage, I could never consider Ahmedabad my home. Though we have all relatives here. Starting from shopping to fun, we used to go to Ahmedabad quite often but I could never feel that attachment with this city.
Even my so-called family belong to this place. I still can somehow manage to pass daytime, but as soon as the Sun sets in I feel like going 'my home'. If I am given an option to choose Ahmedabad or America, probably I'll go for America!!! I do not and never wanted to follow that typical Indian tradition that 'after marriage your husband's home is your home'.

Most of us have heard that filmy dialog ' where do women belong to? first it's dad's house, then husband's and finally it's son's house.' But I am lucky, home in America is MY HOME where I have full freedom and liberty to do whatever I want to. And my parents home in Gandhinagar, it holds special values. It's my childhood home and I'll be completely acquainted with place and customs, no matter where I live!!

No comments: