Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Knitted Scarves (Beginner's level)

There must be something wrong with me. I always get right ideas at the wrong time. All of a sudden I wanted to knit something and I came up with this thought when winter is almost getting over. I have very fond memories of my mom who was always busy knitting and discussing new designs with her friends during winter days. I always had scarf and sweater knitted by mom during my school days and that would always make me feel proud since my outfit will be unique and different from others. She just taught me simple stitch in knitting but I actually never practiced.

I knew the basics but was not confident whether I can make finished product which someone can really wear. I wanted to surprise my mom so could not ask her where to start from. But I indeed found my source, YouTube. I came up with video tutorial for knitting for beginners. I bought the cheapest wool and needles from Jo-Ann Crafts and I am quite happy. In 3 weeks of time, I knitted two scarves. (since scarf would be the best start for beginner like me :)) I just spent 10 bucks out of which needles are re-usable. Now I am confident to use little more expensive matrial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9hv44QwQ-A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwi3xgZzlk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5fxWP75yI

Scarf for Men (Or I should say both man and woman can wear)
Material: soft acrylic
Quantity: 300 gram
Needle: size 5
Length: 50”

Cast on 32 stitches and knit until desired length is achieved. This is made with just knit stitches since it was my first time experiment.

Scarf for Woman
I made this one mainly to utilize leftover acrylic and also to add little design. I wanted a short narrow scarf which I can just wrap around my neck and won’t become cumbersome with jacket/coat. I found some design online where length would be just enough to wrap it around neck in a single layer. To hold it, designer buttons were used.

Material: soft acrylic
Quantity: 100 gram
Needle: size 5
Length: 30”

Cast on 15 stitches and make alternate knit and purl stitch in group of five i.e. first 5 stitches will be knit, then purl and again knit. Do so for five rows and then change the pattern i.e. start with purl stitches, then knit and then purl again. This will create alternate block pattern. I stitched couple hooks inside which I can close if I want the scarf to hold over the neck. These are small hooks so even if I do not fasten them they won't be visible.

No comments: