Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's all about food!!!

We have started getting The Washington Post for last couple of months. After 7 years, now I am trying to get familiar with actually reading hard copy of the news paper! Every Wednesday, they have supplement entirely on food. Yesterday, two of the articles really caught my attention and I could not wait to write about them.

The first article was about Diana Kennedy. She is the queen of the Mexican Cuisine and also known as ‘Julia Child of Mexican Cooking’. She has written several books and appeared on TV shows as well. She was quoted “You need to understand food to understand its culture”. What a splendid remark! I cook for fun, out of hobby, out of passion, but never thought like this.

The other article was about Indian Chats. One full page was dedicated to this article explaining in detail about all different ingredients of chat. There were also a few recipes for Dahi Bhalla, Tamarind Chutney and Green Chutney. I never happened to search/ read these recipes since this is something you know, by default. You do not need (At least I did not need) any extra, special tips to make them. But to my surprise, I saw some ingredients in this recipe which I never thought could contribute to make the dish tastier. For example, onion, ginger and curd in green chutney or fennel seeds and clove-cinnamon powder in tamarind chutney.

These recipes were from chefs of two popular restaurants in DC Metro Area – Rasika (DC downtown) and Indique Heights (Chevy Chase, MD). We already have been to Indique Heights to celebrate my B’day and now cannot wait to go to Rasika for his B’day. 2 months advanced planning….VOW!!

No comments: