Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Lucky Bamboo

This birthday we invited our friends for lunch who also happen to be our next door neighbor. It was just a simple meal and it was more like a casual get together, so I did not expect gift or anything like that. But they brought me a ‘Lucky Bamboo’ with a nice decorative pot. I did not know much about this plant, but I have seen in so many Chinese stores. I liked it, because it’s a very thoughtful gift, instead of a box of sweets or chocolates. I have kept it in my kitchen and done little reading about it out of curiosity.


Though it has got ‘Bamboo’ word in its name, it has nothing to do with actual bamboo family. It does not need direct sunlight and requires very small amount of water just to keep it moisturized. It grows in Asia and Africa. It’s considered lucky because of its association with Feng Shui Art. Number of roots also has a meaning, for example, 5 roots mean wealth and 6 roots mean health. To have this plant with 4 roots is considered a bad omen since ‘four’ in Chinese means ‘dead’!

My friend gave me the one with six roots and wished me all the luck…so let’s hope for the best


No comments: