Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks

After reading The Wedding, The Notebook and A Walk to Remember, no wonder I had high expectations from Nicholas Sparks. He made me believe true love and long-lasting relationships can and do exist in West, it’s not just anybody’s property. Also, after reading his books, desire to visit North Caroline is getting stronger.

But after reading ‘Message in a bottle’, my heart is broken and I am totally disappointed in him. He sounded very monotonous, no complaint about it since every author has his or her own style and secondly, I am no expert to comment on somebody’s expertise.

It is a nice flow, how two lonely persons (Theresa and Garrett), leading completely different kind of life are destined to meet each other to make themselves complete. Everything was going good, Theresa flew in to NC from Boston, met Garrett and they had a ride on his boat. Very coincidental, but still convincing. Then Garrett invited Theresa to his home and what happens when two lonely persons are alone? That’s right, SEX. Author has devoted good 3 pages to describe this, why? They don’t even know each other for 24 hours. I can understand that they fell in love immediately, but why it has to be concluded like this and that too so fast? He is an established author, he does not have to use this trick. Even if he wanted to portray physical intimacy why to write such detailed description?
Another similar incident, Garrett gets upset with Theresa when he finds out she knew about him through letters he wrote to his dead wife. Theresa comes to NC to patch up with him and everything is suddenly okay after they have sex!!

I am not over traditional or conservative. I agree that physical intimacy is final step for any close man-woman relationship. For man, this is ultimate aim and for woman, it’s byproduct of love and security. But it should be done at right place, right time.

After reading this book, I was compelled to think whether I am over-reacting or my expectations were very high?

No comments: